Monday, May 16, 2011

Feed by M.T. Anderson




Feed by M.T. Anderson

Imagine walking down the street and being fed advertising banners for everything you look at and everything you think. You are able to talk to your friends much like today but instead of computer or cell phone chat, you chat through your head. This is life with the feed, a chip implanted at birth that tracks your every move, thought, and feeling. It's hard to imagine life without the feed for the kids in this book and they are even able to travel to the moon and all of the other planets in our solar system. Everything is normal for Titus and his friends until they go to a party on the moon where they are hacked and their feeds disabled. Titus, with the help of his new love interest Violet, is able to see life in a new perspective. Is life better with or without the feed and what new things will the kids in feed discover about themselves and the world they live in?

This was such a great YA novel to kick off my summer reading! It was a quick and entertaining read and I really enjoyed imagining a life like the ones in this book. The book scared me a little bit however because I feel that sometimes our country isn't that far off from technology like this and it made me realize how much I rely on technology to get through my day. However, it was fun stepping into a future world and reading how Titus and his friends would keep up with each other using the feed to guide them. There were a couple questions that I feel are still unanswered like, what about the lesions; I would have liked a definite answer on how they began and how they spread (throughout the novel, it is hinted that the lesions are caused by the technology inserted in each person's body). One of my favorite characters in the book was actually Violet's father, it was really neat to hear what it was like for him living in a society who all had feeds when him and his family were basically living without them. It was interesting seeing his perspective mostly because his daughter is the one who ends up having trouble with the feed (for more on this you will just have to read the book, I don't want to give anything away!) All in all, I really enjoyed this book and was sad when it ended. I think people of all ages will enjoy this book and it would be fun to discuss it with anyone else who has read it.

I give Feed:


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the Sundri kit by MK-Designs